Covina United Methodist Church Covina, CA
Job Position: Church Secretary
Rate: $ 14.25 /hour
General Position Overview:
The church secretary will work under the leadership of the Senior Pastor and all other staff members to implement and develop policies andprocedures to support the ministries and fundamental missions of Covina United Methodist Church.
The secretary is responsible for performing a variety of clerical and administrative support duties. This position requires the use of sound judgment and the highest degree of confidentiality. Attendance at the following meeting is required: Staff Meetings and leadership training events.
Form the date of employment, the secretary will begin a 90-day introductory period. A performance evaluation will be conducted at the end the 90-day probationary period and annually thereafter.
- Greet Church visitors and guests and provide general information.
- Answer and direct calls. And take good messages/notes.
- Answers phone calls cheerfully with kindness and greets people with a smile.
- Monitor message service upon arrival or re-arrival in the Church office.
- Professionally handles multiple calls simultaneously.
- Checks the answering machine daily and respond to calls promptly.
- Maintain church calendar and schedules facility/room reservations.
- Train and oversee office volunteers.
- Performs skilled secretarial work for the pastor and provide clerical support in varying degrees for the main groups within the Churchfamily.
- Attend and participates in Church Staff Meetings and Training events (required).
- Fully support the mission, vision, and worship philosophy of the Covina United Methodist Church.
- Composes correspondences as required.
- Prepares Certificate of Baptism, Confirmation and Affirmation of faith as needed.
- Maintains Church files and records of hard copies.
- Maintains confidentiality of relationships and church records.
- Prepare and reproduces Sunday worship bulletin, newsletter, and church calendar with volunteer help.
- Transcribes, types, edits and reproduces a variety of materials for pastor and church with volunteer help.
- Maintains good and complete records of weekly worship attendance.
- Updates and maintains current church directory, church membership information and church database.
- Process and direct mail to appropriate persons (e.g. Pastor, BOG, SPRC, Finance, Treasurer, Mission, etc)
- Handles out-going mails properly and promptly.
- Performs regular inventories of office and worship supplies.
- Orders/Purchase Church office, Worship, Sunday school, and Custodial supplies when needed and always make sure sufficient supplies are available.
- Sort/Checks and replies promptly to all emails addressed to the church and directs any emails that is for the pastor.
- Sends email reminders of regular and special committee meetings (e.g. BOG, SPRC, Finance, etc).
- Sends email reminders in advance to worship leaders who arescheduled to lead for Sunday worship.
- Forward promptly any photos, articles, and bulletin information to the Website Ministry Coordinator or Media Team.
- Communicate accurate information with the church leaders regarding all church activities.
- Works harmoniously with Financial Secretary and Membership Secretary in order to integrate best practices in record keeping and church publication as needed.
- Create and maintains daily/weekly schedule with specific duties and responsibilities so that any substitute or successor can continue working without interruption, confusion or obstacles.
- 2+ years progressively responsible clerical or administrative support experience.
- Personal computer skills in Office applications and desktop publishing applications.
- Strong understanding of business principles, operations, and reporting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to details.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong ability to work independently in a collaborative environment.
- Strong knowledge of office procedures, filing, and operation of office equipment.
- Commitment to ongoing personal and professional growth.
- Knowledge of the fundamental missions of Covina United Methodist Church.
Experience: Administrative Support: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Authorization: United States (Required)
Shifts: Morning (Required)
Working days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday
Overtime often available: No
- Reports and administratively responsible to the Senior Pastor.
- Refers any other requests for secretarial work to the Senior Pastor for consideration.
- Reports to the Senior Pastor and the Chairperson of Staff-Parish Relations Committee for any concerns and problems.
- Dresses in appropriate attires for professional office work.
- Does not make personal phone calls except for emergencies.
- Does not use the internet or website for personal matters.
- Is punctual and reliable.
- Submits regular and accurate work hours to the Treasurer for payroll unless contracted.
- Maintains, updates, and reports any vacations, sick days, personal time off upon request in advance as it is possible.
Skills Required, Knowledge of:
- The mission and tasks of the United Methodist Church. If not, willing and
- able to learn and adapt.
- The nature of the Church and keeping detail membership `records.
- Church office procedures and policies.
- Modern office procedures and filing methods/systems.
- Operation of standard office equipment, including a computer.
- f. Usage of the internet, emails, and the website.
- Thorough knowledge of the following computer programs: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop etc.
- How to install and update computer security programs, such as anti-virus, and anti-spyware etc.
Skills Required, Ability to:
- Meet the public tactfully and courteously, to answer questions in person or by telephone, and to route calls effectively.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective workingrelationships.
- Type with accuracy at a speed of not less than 60 words per minute.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Formulate written communications with factual accuracy and meaning.
- Edit and produce publications, such as E-Blast and the Newsletter.
- Edit graphic files and photos for publications.
- Handle urgent and emergency situations as they arise.
- Compile and maintain accurate and complete records and reports.
- Make arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Be flexible and able to plan, organize, and complete assignments with minimum of direction.
- Work competently as a self-starter, able to work independently and able to multi-task.
Please call (626) 339-7386 to inquire about the position.