Attention all students of higher education,
Every year, Covina United Methodist Church offers an undisclosed amount in scholarship money to active members of the church who meet given criteria. It is through an endowment given to the church, and delegated towards scholars, that we can award this monetary gift. It is only for those pursuing an education past high school. As a congregation, we recognize the hard work and dedication that is put into a higher education, and we wish to honor those who chose to embark on such a rewarding journey.
Members of the scholarship committee have met several times to discuss what criteria need to be met in order to award an individual a scholarship. Please keep in mind that this is not a competitive scholarship, and we do not anticipate turning anyone who meets the requirements away. In order to qualify, the individual must meet the following requests:
1. Be a member of the church for at least one year prior to application
2. Commit to being a church volunteer or be involved in a service/mission project before and after graduation.
3. Hold a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher.
4. Submit a statement of future goals and aspirations. “Where do you see yourself in the next 4-6 years?” – As a prayerful congregation, we wish all students the best. This essay is so we know how to pray for each scholar. It is also a good practice for the applicant, who may post it on the refrigerator as a reminder of what they are working for.
5. Willing to participate in a mid-school year meeting to share progress toward goals. This interview will also be to provide the applicant with spiritual support to recharge before a second semester.
The deadline for all applications is July 10th. We wish all students the best in the 2022/2023 school year and hope to see many applications.
Covina UMC Scholarship Committee